With the standard Flexible Storage System if there is a power cut from the grid then the PV system and Sunny Island will shut down and the household loads will no longer be supplied.
However, by the addition of an extra automatic transfer switch the SMA Flexible Storage System can be given battery backup function, so that the existing PV system will be able to maintain the electricity supply throughout a grid failure.
With earth switching compliant with G59/3 these allow you to store excess generation from grid connected wind or PV systems not only for use at night or but also in a power cut.
- Get security for the future - from power cuts and rising energy bills
- Have the ability to use most or all of your generation - your energy costs less than importing grid energy
- Bask in the knowledge that you are your own power station.
- With an SMA Flexible Storage System with battery backup function, the existing PV system will be able to maintain the electricity supply throughout a grid failure.
Larger battery stores are generally required for backup systems than for smart storage solutions. They should be sized to cover the loads required during a power cut for the likely length of time of a power cut.
The battery of the SMA Flexible Storage System not only takes care of the intermediate storage of PV energy, but also supplies the loads during grid failure. The service life of the battery is hardly affected by this dual utilization as long as the utility grid is basically stable.
The maximum PV inverter power that can be connected in battery backup mode is 9.2kW per Sunny Island 6.0H or 12kW per Sunny Island 8.0H.
Additional cost to end user from ~ £6,500 + Vat (compared to normal PV system)
The system consists of
- A Sunny Boy solar inverter - to connect the solar photovoltaic (PV) panels.
- A Sunny Island inverter/charger - to convert 48 VDC (battery power) to 230V AC (grid power) and vice versa.
- Sunny Island Speedwire data module for communication.
- Batteries - to store the energy when it’s generated, for use when it’s needed. Lead acid or lithium ion.
- Sunny Home Manager & SMA Energy Meter for monitoring and control of the system - to make a more efficient system and give you information on the distribution of energy.
- Automatic switch box including G59 relay and earth neutral switching
- Cabling and switchgear - for efficient and safe operation
|Solar Panels for renewable generation.|
|Solar Inverter to connect the solar photovoltaic (PV) panels.|
|SMA Sunny Island inverter/charger - to convert 48 VDC (battery power) to 230V AC (grid power) and vice versa.|
|Batteries to store the energy when it’s generated, for use when it’s needed. Different types of battery can be used.|
|SMA Sunny Island Speedwire data module for communication.|
|SMA Sunny Home Manager to monitor and control the system. Data is also transmitted to SMA's Sunny Portal for monitoring via a browser or App giving you information on the distribution of energy.|
|SMA Energy Meter to measure export/import so the system knows when to charge/discharge the battery in order to increase self-sufficiency.|
|Automatic Transfer Switch - to ensure safe and compliant operation.|
|Battery & Inverter Cables|