What it is
A grid connect system can have any type of generation whether it be solar PV, wind or hydro. This then connects into your distribution board and generated power is first used within the property to reduce electricity consumption and any surplus is exported to the grid.
Note that if the grid supply fails, to protect linesmen working on the grid, the system will shut down. For power in the event of a power cut please see Grid Connect System with Battery Storage.
What it can offer you
This simple system can be a very wise investment offering reduction in outgoings and bringing you an income:
- Reduce your electricity consumption and your bills
- Get paid for all the electricity you generate via the feed-in-tariff scheme
- Get paid for the electricity you export to the grid
- Systems can pay for themselves in as little as 6 years and continue offering benefits for years to come
Often the lower price paid for electricity sold compared to electricity bought makes it advantageous to make best use of all power generated, for example by using electricity during periods of high generation. There are many products to help you monitor the system and even automatically turn on appliances when you are exporting, you can find them here.
What's in the system
- Solar PV panels
- Special DC solar cable & connectors
- DC isolator
- Solar PV inverter
- AC isolator
- Normal AC cable
- kWh generation meter
- MCB in distribution board
If you would be interested in receiving a free no obligation survey and quotation from one of our recommended installers click the link below. Additionally we would be happy to talk to you about the products and help you decide what would be best.